FYI: eu.dl.sourceforge.net distfile corruption

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Sat Mar 6 20:11:56 PST 2004

Matthias Andree wrote:
> Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com> writes:
>

>>anyone objects to set MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE to
>>  http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/
>>  http://aleron.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/
>>  http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/
>>  http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/
>>
>>until the problem goes away?
>
> Yes. The sites should be randomized so that the load (and possibly
> breakage) is spread.

We have RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES for this. This should probably enabled
by default. Breakage shouldn't be spread, especially it is important
to be able to exculde a defect or hacked server.

> The way it is now, the first site listed bears the major part of
> ports-induced downloads. This would make the Irish Heanet site suffer
> most of the SourceForge-related downloads for port installs. I consider
> this unfair. If the ports system had tried to re-fetch (after broken
> checksum) from a different site, the download would have succeeded BTW.

Maybe. On the other hand it may be strange to try twenty mirrors to
find that the checksum mismatches on all of them.

> And no, I have nothing to do with Heanet, I'm just worried because they
> are on top of your list. Besides, there are more European download sites
> for SF, for instance, Switch and Cesnet.

Switch and Cesnet don't carry all projects distfiles, I added
MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE_EXTENDED for them.

Generally, the problem you mention are valid, but consider the way the port
system works and are not specific to sourceforge mirrors. A general solution
that includes i.e. MASTER_SITE_APACHE and MASTER_SITE_GNU is appreciated.

-Oliver