attempting to resucitate Lahey Fortran port

Thu Mar 4 09:22:08 PST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:57:16 -0500
"Dr. Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk at slytherin.ds.psu.edu> wrote:

> A couple of years ago, I submitted an installer for Lahey Fortran.  More
> than a year later, messages were apparently sent to a by then defunct
> email address, and the port closed.

PR 37927

> The problem seems tgo have been that:
>
> >Audit-Trail
> >
> >State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> >State-Changed-By: edwin
> >State-Changed-When: Fri Oct 3 17:53:05 PDT 2003
> >State-Changed-Why:
> >> MASTER_SITES=   # fetch manually
> >
> >You don't tell us where to get it from.
>
> Which makes no sense for an installer for a commercial linux project.

But you used "fetch manually"... I think it would be better to use
"comes on CD" or something like this. I haven't reopened the PR, because
of your problems below.

> Anyway, it's now developed a new problem on current, which makes no
> sense to me.  I don't know what this means (which will certainly stop me from fixing it :)
>
> The port still installs, but after lf95 compiles, in the link state I get the message:
>
> slytherin ttyp6:dpt>lf95 dpt1.f95
> Encountered 0 errors, 0 warnings in file dpt1.f95.
> /usr/bin/ld: unrecognised emulation mode: elf_i386
> Supported emulations: elf_i386_fbsd
>
> What does this mean/how do I fix it?

man ld:
---snip---
       -memulation
           Emulate  the  emulation  linker.  You can list the available emula-
           tions with the --verbose or -V options.

           If the -m option is not used,  the  emulation  is  taken  from  the
           "LDEMULATION" environment variable, if that is defined.

           Otherwise,  the  default  emulation depends upon how the linker was
           configured.
---snip---

If you can't change the emulation in lf95, you may perhaps have to write
a ld wrapper which replaces the emulation. We have something like this
in the icc and ifc ports (not for changing the emulation, but for other
things).

> And how do I get the submission going again?

Just send-pr the new (working) port again (this will open up a new PR)
with a working mail address. :-)

Or try to get a ports committer interested in helping you...

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           I will be available to get hired in April 2004.