Is 'make index' broken? Suggestions?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Mar 3 22:35:12 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:38:36PM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 March 2004 02:11 pm, Richard Dawes wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > I'm not a ports developer or maintainer, but I'm curious...
> >
> > For a while now, it seems, I haven't been able to generate
> > a valid INDEX file, and the one I can cvsup is now a couple
> > weeks old...
> >
> > FTR, I am past all the portupgrade issues.  I haven't seen
> > any postings about this specically, but I'm wondering if
> > this has anything to do with Kris's repeated "INDEX build
> > failed" postings - which appear to be some sort of automatic
> > output for ports developers.
> >
> > I have been getting similar "make_index: ... no entry..."
> > output, which for me keeps ending like so:
> >

> > make_index: gauche-readline-0.1: no entry for /usr/ports/lang/gauche
> > make_index: gauche-readline-0.1: no entry for /usr/ports/lang/gauche
> > Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry: *** Error code 1
> > Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry:
> >  Done.
> >

> > Then, for portupgrade to work much at all, I have to restore
> > a backup copy of INDEX...
> >
> > Any suggestions?  If this is some known situation, would
> > someone kindly point me to an online discussion/explanation
> > available?  Thanks!!
>
> Figure out what you have done wrong with your cvsup or refuse. You have
> something missing or too many refuses. Make index was having problems
> from 2 to 3 March but not that port.
>
> Kent
>
> > -Rich

Actually the "Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry: *** Error code 1" means
that 'make describe' failed with an error.  INDEX was broken last
night, but seems to be working today in the default case.  If you're
still having problems after another cvsup, run 'make describe' by
itself and show us where it fails

Kris