FWD: [mat@FreeBSD.org: Re: ports/62479: New port: sysutils/munin-node Node-specific part of?Munin]

Lupe Christoph lupe at lupe-christoph.de
Wed Mar 3 02:05:52 PST 2004

Hi!

Mathieu suggested I ask on this mailing list:

----- Forwarded message from Mathieu Arnold <mat at FreeBSD.org> -----

From: Mathieu Arnold <mat at FreeBSD.org>
To: Lupe Christoph <lupe at lupe-christoph.de>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:08:54 +0100
Subject: Re: ports/62479: New port: sysutils/munin-node Node-specific part of	Munin

+-Le 03/03/2004 08:41 +0100, Lupe Christoph a dit :

| You added etc/munin/VERSION.node to the plist, which AFAIK causes it to
| be removed by portupgrade (pkg_delete, probably). But this is a marker
| that is used on upgrades to locate added plugins and automagically link
| them to the etc/munin/plugins directory.

| I found no way to differentiate between an upgrade and a complete
| removal.

| What I need on an upgrade is the old plugin directory, and the VERSION
| that is being upgraded. BTW, that is also the reason I don't empty the
| etc/munin/plugins directory on pkg_delete.

| So I think VERSION.node must be removed from plist.

Well, badly there is no way to find out wether you're deleting the port or
wether you're upgrading :/ and when deleting, a port should remove all it's
files. Maybe you should have a look at pkgconfig's plist, maybe you should
do the same thing. You can come with this question on ports@ to see what's
the way to go :)

----- End forwarded message -----

A little more background:

Munin puts a lot of symlinks in etc/munin/plugins. Those point to the
real plugins in share/munin/plugins. The symlinks should survive on an
upgrade because they are part of the configuration. When munin-node is
installed, it checks if there have been new plugins introduced and
installs them automagically. It does that based on the old and new
version numbers.

It works that way on Debian. The Debian package is done by the Munin
developers, so I consider that the canonical way. ;-)

Opinion poll:

1) Is this behaviour desirable?
2) If yes, is this the best implementation?

Thank you for feedback,
Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe at lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "Violence is the resort of the violent" Lu Tze                         |