A question about dependencies

Roop Nanuwa roop.nanuwa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 22:44:28 PDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:43:02 -0600, Bob Melson <melsonr at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Briefly, I discovered on my system some 124 ports of 600+ that show
> python as a requirement.  Granted that many are probably cascading
> requirements:  A requires B which requires C which requires python, so A
> and B are shown  to depend on it; this still seems to me to be a problem.

Why is it a problem? I'm not quite sure why you see depending on
python is an issue versus requiring cc (gcc). Code needs to be
compiled or run, one way or another.

> Still, if this business with the python dependencies is any indicator,
> the system could be improved, although I'm unable to say how.

Again, pardon my ignorance, why are python dependencies an
indicator of a need for improvement? Maybe I'm missing something
obvious but I don't see the relation.

--roop