libtool library

Sat Jun 12 10:22:23 GMT 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:08:23 +0200
Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com> wrote:

> Rob Evers wrote:
>
> > What's the policy on installing .la files of ported software. I thought
> > to remember it's prefered not to install these. Ist this correct and
> > why ?
>
> The current `official' policy is not to install .la files
> because they have been considered useless. Many developers
> consider this policy to be wrong since in some cases they
> are required.

If a port uses libtdl, the .la files are required for those libs the
ports depends on, or for plugins the port installs. At least this was
the case with libtdl 1.3.x.

That's the only case I know of which makes the .la files a requirement.
If we would patch libtdl to not open the .la files, but open the .so
file directly, we wouldn't even need the .la files in this case.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           I'm available to get hired (preferred in .lu).