apache2 & mod_log_config-st & mod_log_mysql

Clement Laforet clement at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 7 22:36:54 GMT 2004

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 04:17:24 -0400
Yarema <yds at CoolRat.org> wrote:
Hi !

> The docs list as one of the requirements to have a fixed apr_reslist.c
> -- which is missing from the way you implemented the mod_log_mysql ->
> mod_log_config-st -> apache2 ports dependencies.  Then there's the
> whole issue of having mod_log_config-st in a separate port, itself
> missing the modified mod_logio.c, which returns i/o counts as numbers
> to mod_mod_log_config, not as strings as the original would do.
> So here's what I propose.  How about dropping the mod_log_config-st
> entirely and mod_log_mysql dependency on it.  And replacing the whole
> mess with the four additional patches to the apache2 port that I'm
> attaching with this email.  So far as I can tell this does not break
> anything and does fix the two omissions mentioned above.  Not to
> mention just being simpler IMHO.
<snip>
> Seems like the Right Thing (TM) to me. :)  What do you think?

It should be :-)
apr fix was planned to be include, but I have to admit I let it rot in
my todolist.
As you seem very concerned, I gonna explain you why I'll never include
these patches in apache2 port >>directly<<.
You surely noticed the amount of patches in files/ directory, and most
of them focuses on build, not "add-ons". Since I've maintained this
port, I mainly focus on its flexibility to make it looks like a big
"(buggy) apache puzzle". All these efforts wasn't made in vain.
First, I realized my dream, having an apache port that let you do
everything you can do with configure (and perhaps more ;)). Secondly I
wished to allow people making any kind of slave ports. My work was
originally designed to make slave ports of metmux mpm and mod_perl2 as
static module (this part is atm unfinished).
Including patches which don't come from apache CVS don't delight me.
It gives me more work ;-) (even if the major changes are done). For
example, to update apache2 port I usually rework a part of autotools
scripts, and run ~30 different builds. 3 more patches shouldn't be hard
to maintain, but I prefer working on scripts to make all this little
world live together, even if patches are 100% backward compatible.
As far as I can, I try to keep "bonus functionnalities" out the port.

You may think "OK lazy guy, that's nice, but it doesn't solve my
problem".
But I can solve it you know ;-) If you have a look at
${PORTSDIR}/www/apache2/Makefile.modules.3rd (which should become
bsd.apache.mk) you can see you can change module name.
So if this particular case, we can have a knob in apache2 port, let's
say WITH_PATCHED_MODLOGCONFIG, which disconnects mod_log_config and
mod_log_io from the build and add mod_log_config-st and future
mod_log_io-st as RUN_DEPENDS ports, with the original names.

Apache is a modular web server, we can do modular ports :)

BTW, thank for your patch and your interest. I'm very happy to discuss
about what I'm trying to do.

clem