post-patch blues with db3, db4, db41

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Sat Jun 5 21:49:44 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 14:42, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Saturday 05 June 2004 23:24, Sean McNeil wrote:
>
> > No shared library that does not explicitly call pthread functionality
> > (i.e. pthread* functions) should be linked to require libthread.
> >
> > This is a simple rule that db3, db4, and db41 do not follow.  Removing
> > the REINPLACE makes it follow the rule.
>
> Turns out you're right, however libdb4_cxx and libdb41_cxx actually require
> linking to a threads library so a more fine-grained approach than simply
> removing the REINPLACE is necessary.

Interesting.  Why do you think this is required?  I did a

 nm --demangle /usr/local/lib/libdb41_cxx.so.1 | grep " U "

and do not see any specific requirement that this library be linked with
pthreads. In fact, it would appear that the library does not require
libpthread as there look like a test of __isthreaded in there.  This
would indicate that it is possible to use in a non-threaded environment.

Sean