INDEX patch

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Jun 2 06:56:32 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 03:50:49PM +0200, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:

> >>Because test is a sh-builtin, and the file system should cache this
> >>information
> >>I don't expect to see any difference. Especially since spawning perl
> >>11000 times
> >>is more than suboptimal ;) You didn't mean this serious, did you?
> >
> >I did, because I care about small pessimizations of the INDEX build.
> >Sometimes they're not small.  Did you benchmark it?
>
> No. Did you?

I did, actually.  Removing the ECHO_CMD is a small but measurable
improvement (and not negligible when the total index build time is
only 120 seconds, which I've achieved with other optimizations).  This
is a silly argument though, because you just need to test for the
existence of perl once in /usr/ports/Makefile.

> Honestly, when you really want to improve INDEX building
> times, it
> should be worth thinking about not spawning perl every time, but instead do
> the
> substitutions in batch. I my experience microoptimization on the expense of
> clarity and prudence almost always result in highly optimized suboptimal
> algorithms that together run far slower that they have to.

This sounds like a good idea for future improvement.  Can you take a
look at implementing it?

Kris