general MIME types port (was: Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/sylpheed Makefile distinfo pkg-plist)

Sat Jul 31 06:22:52 PDT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:00:29 +0200
Oliver Lehmann <lehmann at ans-netz.de> wrote:

> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>
> > Possible bikesheds:
> >  - mime.types inline (files/mime.types) or extern (e.g.
> >    MASTER_SITE_LOCAL)
>
> It's only one file... so I'd go for files/mime.types

Me too.

> >  - just suck in every mime type from somewhere (and using the least
> >    common denominator for the license... whatever this means in this
> >    context), or only looking for BSD licensed (or similar) ones (e.g.
> >    apache)
>
> Its a port so I don't know how important are BSD/GPL license things are.

If we want to use it with/in other programs it _may_ be important. We
also need to give credit.

> But taking the one deployed by (for e.g.) apache should fit shouldn't it?

Yes, and it's the largest one:
---snip---
% grep / /usr/local/etc/apache/mime.types | wc -l
     581

% grep .xml /usr/ports/misc/shared-mime-info/pkg-plist |wc -l
     383

% grep / /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/mime-info/gnome*.mime |wc -l
     430
---snip---

TODO:
 - where to install:
   * PREFIX/etc/mime.types
   * PREFIX/share/...
 - perhaps sync with those other ones
 - identify ports which are able to make use of it and patch them
   * I suggest to create a page at wiki.daemon.li (not reachable ATM)
     with a list of ports

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           I'm available to get hired (preferred in .lu).