qmail question (or creating a "dummy" package)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 07:12:52 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 05:03:50PM +0300, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:

> I want to compile qmail with patches that are not in the ports (I want to
> test some of the patches in http://netdevice.com/qmail/rcptck/). since I'm
> a FreeBSD newbie I won't even start thinking about creating a port for it,
> so my other option (beside installing the port and then installing from
> source over it) is to search for a 'dummy' mechanism that will cause ports
> that depend on qmail to install even if it's not installed from the ports.
> is there a way to do it?

That's the default behaviour.  When a port checks to see if its
dependencies have been fulfilled, it doesn't look at the list of
already installed ports.  Instead it checks for the presence or
absence of a particular file (often a shlib).  If that file is
missing, it will install the port listed in the second part of the
{BUILD,RUN,LIB}_DEPENDS line.

That means you can install a dependency completely outside the ports
system if you wish, or you can substitute a different port to satisfy
that dependency -- eg. databases/p5-DBD-mysql for p5-Mysql

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way