[Fwd: Recent changes to rc.d on -CURRENT]

Mike Makonnen mtm at identd.net
Tue Jul 27 01:05:20 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:23:31AM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:44:39AM +0300, Mike Makonnen wrote:
> > Ports rc.d scripts have always been broken. It's just that it wasn't
> > noticeable because rc.d/localpkg was also broken.
>
> Well of course older rc.d scripts were 'broken' -- they relied on the
> older 'broken' behaviour of rc.d/localpkg...

No, I'm talking about scripts that used the rc.d mechanism but didn't
behave properly (for example, hardcoding configuration values in
the script).

> > The rc.d mechanism with respect to sourcing scripts works like this:
> > 	o scripts ending in '.sh' are sourced in the current subshell
> > 	o all other scripts are sourced in a subshell.
>
> Wait, so you're saying that e.g. 'samba.sh.sample' is also executed in
> the new world order?

No, '*.sample' and '*-dist' are ignored.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm at identd.net | Fingerprint: AC7B 5672 2D11 F4D0 EBF8  5279 5359 2B82 7CD4 1F55