FreeBSD Port: ethereal-0.10.3

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Tue Jul 20 18:57:47 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 17:16, bill fumerola wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:17:28AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > I asked billf last week about this, but it looks like it still has not
> > been updated.  If some other committer can step in to help, the
> > various PRs assigned about this problem are well and truly in the
> > "Maintainer timeout" category by now.
>
> i've tested gtk1 but haven't tested gtk2 (which is now preferred w/
> ethereal authors). gtk2 pre-reqs (pango, which links to libX11 which
> references getpwuid_r) fails in the link stage due to pthread problems.
> i'm updating my machine to be a more recent -stable so i can test gtk2.
>
> patch attached; anyone who can successfully build/run this with gtk2 can
> feel free to commit it.

Bill, here is my patch for ethereal.  This works with GTK+ 1.2 and 2,
and fixes the lockup encountered when running with GTK+ 2 by using
select() on the bpf file descriptor to see if we have packets to read.
The ability for this to work was introduced by the patch in
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=22063, so it should be fairly
safe to use this.

If you have no objection, I'll go ahead and commit this.

http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/ethereal.diff

Joe