[HEADS UP] PHP mega-commit

Patrick Oonk patrick at pine.nl
Tue Jul 20 07:05:56 PDT 2004

I applaud the work on the php ports, but the timing could not have been
worse, making such big changes to a port at a moment when everbody's
rushing to install the new php version 4.3.8 due to security issues.

My observations:

I want to upgrade php, so I do a 'portupgrade php4-4.3.7_xx'.
I end up with a PHP 4.3.8 with none but the default extensions.

Then I try a 'portinstall /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions'.

# portinstall /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions
** No such installed package nor such port called
'/usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions' is found.

Ok, another try. I go to: /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions and do a make.
Now I am able to choose the extensions, but nothing else happens. The
options I chose are written to a config file.
The only way to get the extensions back is to type 'make install' in
/usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions, which installs the extensions, but
messes up the pkg database, which I have to fix then using 'pkgdb -F'.

I also tried doing a make in /usr/ports/lang/php4-extensions and then a
'portupgrade php4-4.3.7_xx', which also ended up in a PHP 4.3.8 with
only the default options.

So what I am doing wrong here?

There's also a problem with the php4-ldap, which forces the openldap22
port on you. I am fine with the openldap21 port, the openldap22 port
breaks things for me. I fixed this by changing USE_OPENLDAP= yes to
USE_OPENLDAP21= yes in the Makefile.ext of the php4 port. But this
should be a choice in the configuration menu (a la postfix) or
environment variable setting.

	greets
	Patrick