Triple VNC

Brandon D. Valentine brandon at dvalentine.com
Tue Jul 13 11:41:33 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 09:11:05AM +0200, Bruno Czekay wrote:
> Anyway, one question again. Assuming I'm installing all three ports,
> which one will be seen as vncviewer/-server etc? Real VNC or the last
> one I've installed?

I would suggest you look at the way perl in FreeBSD now works.  Have all
three VNC ports depend on the vnc-wrapper port (which itself should
probably just depend on nothing).  The vnc-wrapper port installs a
command called use.vnc that sets up symlinks for vncviewer, vncserver,
etc to the set of binaries indicated as argv[1] to use.vnc, similar to
the way use.perl works.  pkg-message in all three VNC ports should tell
the user something like "to use this VNC package as your default VNC
package, type use.vnc tight".  You could even add optional flags to
use.vnc that would let the user do things like specify that vncserver be
linked to tightVNC but vncviewer to tridia or whatever crazy setup that
user wanted.

HTH,

Brandon D. Valentine
--
brandon at dvalentine.com                           http://www.geekpunk.net
Pseudo-Random Googlism:  july is mixed nut month