Question about portlint WARN/FATAL errors

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 10 13:36:37 PDT 2004

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:20:17 -0500
Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 10 July 2004 03:02 pm, Randy Pratt wrote:
> > I ran portlint on quite a few existing ports and was quite surprised
> > at the amount of WARN and FATAL errors that existed.
>
> portlint is a heuristic tool.  It is quite possible for it to report false
> positives.  Also, some ports do things in an "unapproved" way simply
> to work around restrictions/bugs in bsd.*.mk.
>
> Having said that, there are a large number of ports that just have bugs.
> The problem comes in determining which are which :-)
>
> mcl

Okay, its not a problem for me, I was just a bit surprised by
the number of them.  Some time ago, I made a few local "ports" just
to get a feel for how the port mechanisms worked and assumed that one
of the objectives before submitting a port was to appease portlint.

Just making a port of a simple C program gave me a whole new
outlook on ports and an appreciation of how much work the
ports gurus have to do to make all this Magic work ;-)

Thanks for all the efforts everyone!

Best regards,

Randy