devel/linux_devtools question

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Fri Jul 9 23:37:40 PDT 2004

On Saturday 10 July 2004 00:20, andrew clarke wrote:

> $chroot /compat/linux
> chroot: /compat/linux: Operation not permitted
>
> Hmm.  I've never used chroot.

Only the superuser may use chroot.

> Either way, I tend to think the linux_devtools port is missing some
> important files:
>
> $pwd
> /usr/compat/linux
>
> $find . | grep -c linux/errno

That header is part of the Linux kernel and comes with the kernel sources.
It's kind of debatable if the linux_devtools port should really go ahead and
install those - they are really big and freebsd's linux emulator is not
exactly a good testing enviroment for Linux kernel modules. :)

Of course there's a lot of software around that bogusly uses Linux kernel
includes (and makes porters curse and rant) although it shouldn't.

FWIW, you can still grab a Linux kernel source and install the missing headers
from that yourself.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org