Why does bsd.port.mk override make's search for Makefiles...?

Will Andrews will at csociety.org
Fri Jul 9 11:36:45 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 01:37:08PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Hmm, you're right.  OK, I am more literate now, and I believe I understand
> the problem mentioned in the PR, I'm just not sure I agree with renaming
> MAKEFILE to MAKE_FILE everywhere.

You raise a good point.  However, the desire is not to conflict
with _any_ standard, and MAKE_FILE seems to fit the bill.

I would say the lack of a mention of MAKEFILE in make(1) is a bug
in the man page, because:

% cat > Makefile
all:
	@echo MAKEFILE=$(MAKEFILE)
^D
% make
MAKEFILE=Makefile
%

Hmm.  However, it does not seem to use MAKEFILE from the
environment, it simply defines it as the makefile it's using.

% cat > Makefile2
all:
	@echo MAKEFILE=$(MAKEFILE)
	@echo hi
^D
% env MAKEFILE=Makefile2 make
MAKEFILE=Makefile
% make -f Makefile2
MAKEFILE=Makefile2
hi
%

I'm not sure what's going on here.  I will have to make some time
to investigate PR#30331 more.

> ...so which standard do we want to choose from?  :-)  Does POSIX say
> anything (useful) about what make should do with regard to $MAKEFILE...?

I am not concerned with maintaining make(1) - BTDT.

Regards,
--
wca