subversion broken with apache2 now in ports

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Wed Jul 7 23:10:37 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 13:04, Sean McNeil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried to do a portupgrade -af on my machine (-CURRENT amd64) and
> found that something has changed that causes subversion to be broken.
> >From what I can tell, it appears that a library (libaprutil-0.so.9) has
> been moved from /usr/local/lib to /usr/local/lib/apache2.  subversion
> can no longer find this library when anything runs because there is no
> rpath set for it.  Also, I get the following when I try to start up
> apache2:
>
> Starting apache2.
> Syntax error on line 284 of /usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache2/mod_dav_svn.so into server:
> Shared object "libaprutil-0.so.9" not found, required by
> "libsvn_repos-1.so.0"

It is neither correct nor appropriate to require the addition of a
subdirectory (i.e. /usr/local/lib/apache2) to be in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
or added to ldconfig.  This is essentially what I have to do now.  I
have added /usr/local/lib/apache2 to /etc/ld-elf.so.conf.

As it stands, when subversion and apache2 are installed neither of them
work "out of the box".  You are forced to do something like add the path
as mentioned above.  One of the following items should be fixed:

subversion and apache2 should have all libraries in
/usr/local/lib/apache2 linked in with rpaths

or

shared libraries in /usr/local/lib/apache2 should be moved back to
/usr/local/lib.

Cheers,
Sean