portsclean -DD

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Wed Jul 7 11:41:10 PDT 2004

On 07-Jul-2004 Randy Pratt wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 12:25:39 -0500 (CDT)
> "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads at cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> I understand that -D specified once cleans out any distfiles for
>> ports which are not currently installed, but specified twice, does
>> it *only* clean out distfiles that are unreferenced by any port in
>> the tree, or does it do this in addition to the behavior of the
>> single -D switch?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that I'd like to share a distfiles directory
>> between two machines, and I'd like to be able to simply clean out
>> any distfiles that are unreferenced by any port in the tree without
>> disturbing the distfiles for any ports that may be installed on
>> either box.
>
> Portsclean -DD will clean distfiles for ports which are not
> installed _and_ distfiles that are not used by anything in the
> ports tree.
>
> You can verify it for yourself with:
>
>       portsclean -nDD
>
> since the with the -n, no files are actually deleted and you can
> see what action it would have taken.

Ah, yes, of course.  Didn't even think to try that.  :-)

Rather unfortunate, though, as it would be really nice to be able to
separate the two functions.  Looking at the source of portsclean, it
looks like he just bumps up an inclusive "distclean level" for each -D
switch found.

I'll Cc: this to the author and see what he thinks about it.

Thanks.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"