FreeBSD Port: exim-ldap2-4.34+22

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Tue Jul 6 20:48:37 PDT 2004

Bill Milford wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the proper way to modify the “exim.sh” script to start a second
> copy of exim to do TLS on connect on port 465?  I know how to change
> the config file to have it tell the difference based on the traffic on
> the exim lists.

Depending on the load you expect you could try the following line in
/etc/inetd.conf:

smtps	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/local/sbin/exim	exim -bs -tls-on-connect

other than this you have to write a second (custom) start/stop script to
accomplish the task. Since SMTPS (SSMTP) is deprecated you should
consider to use STARTTLS, which is natively support by exim and most
decent MUAs.

-Oliver