ports/63427: Disabling the Java frontend at compile time

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Tue Jul 6 10:41:21 PDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Etienne Robillard wrote:
> You're probably right about the complexity thing.
> However, I doubt that disabling libgcj is sufficient (in my case)
> in areas like saving compilation time and/or space.

Perhaps you could conduct an experiment and check how much compilation
time and/or space you will save when disabling the Java frontend per se,
and not just libgcj?

I'd be interested to see the differences between
 - full gcc34 port
 - gcc34 port without libgcj
 - gcc34 port without libgcj and the whole Java frontend

If the data is convincing, I'm still worried about the complexity thing,
but if there is a worthwhile payoff and one of my fellow ports committers
who has more experience in this area is willing to review the patch, I'll
let this convince myself. :-)  Deal?

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald at pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/