Perl

parv parv at pair.com
Wed Jan 28 17:39:07 PST 2004

in message <20040128194307.GB25550 at parts-unknown.org>,
wrote David Benfell thusly...

> 1) File::Copy doesn't seem to work properly.  Until I rebuilt Perl
> from source via CPAN, bypassing the port, I was getting an error
> that indicated it couldn't find the move subroutine.  Move is one
> of the functions provided by File::Copy.

You did not say which version of port you had tried.  Here
File::Copy::move() works (perl 5.8.2_2 on FreeBSD 4.8-Release-p14)

  rm -rf r
  touch p

  ls -l p

  perl -MFile::Copy -e \
    ' die "'p' does not exist" unless -e "./p";
      move("p" , "r") or die "$!";
    '

  ls -l p r

  perl -MFile::Copy -e \
    ' die "'p' does not exist" unless -e 'p';
      move("p" , "r") or die "$!";
    '

...gives...

  -rw-------  1 parv  people  0 Jan 28 20:36 p
  ls: p: No such file or directory
  -rw-------  1 parv  people  0 Jan 28 20:36 r
  p does not exist at -e line 1.

> 2) There are no man pages.

Well, my problem was that the port did.  That is perl5.8 port installs
both pods & man pages.  I had to do something, don't remember what,
so that man pages are not installed.

  - Parv