NEED TESTERS: e2fsprogs port, new revision

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Jan 28 06:15:27 PST 2004

Hi,

I have revised the e2fsprogs port, and I think it is about getting ready
for prime time, so it is looking for more testers than it has had now.

If you have ext2fs file systems from Linux and backed them up, please
test the e2fsprogs rev02 port from:

http://mandree.home.pages.de/freebsd/e2fsprogs/

and let me know how it goes, EVEN IF IT GOES WELL.

It works fine for me on FreeBSD 4.9 and 5.2, I hope it does for you, but
have no feedback yet from non-x86 machines.

Even if you don't have ext2 file systems, you can help me, if you don't
have an x86 machine:

build the port, it will run the e2fsprogs self-test suite a part of the
build, and report if it has passed its tests.

After that, please run:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/tmp/e2fs.img bs=1m count=64m
mke2fs /var/tmp/e2fs.img
# vnconfig-based tests here, see below
e2fsck -f /var/tmp/e2fs.img
rm -f /var/tmp/e2fs.img

If you are acquainted with vnconfig, try to mount the file system after
mke2fs (mount_ext2fs), do some operations, unmount, and use e2fsck.

Remember to report error logs in case of trouble and your FreeBSD
version and processor type ("uname -a" should do).

Thanks,

--
Matthias Andree