Do we need a new major category (latex)?

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Wed Jan 28 04:48:42 PST 2004

Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 00:57:30 +0100
> Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com> wrote:
>
> [ls -1 vs. ls -d]
>
>>Otherwise you'll count files, CVS directories and empty lines. We have
>>'only' 216 ports in print...
>
> Argh... yes. I make this error _every_ time. In case I want to see the
> files I notice it immediately, but in this case I just piped the output
> into wc without looking at the output.
>
> The benchmark category has 30 entries (ls /usr/ports/benchmarks | grep
> -vE '(pkg|CVS|Makefile)' |wc -l)
This is true, but no LaTeX benchmarks...

and there are 42 packages with latex in
> the name (ls -d */*latex*| grep -vE '(pkg|CVS|Makefile)' |wc -l),
You don't need the grep here, since pkg|CVS|Makefile doesn't match
*latex*, and you may want to count mylatexpkg.

> and 36
> additional portnames with "tex" but without "text" (yes, this excludes
> texproc: ls -d */*tex*| grep -vE '(pkg|CVS|Makefile|text)' |wc -l),
the problem with all that number games is that I get
  distfiles/latex_[...].tar.gz
in ls -d */*latex*. May I suggest:

awk -F\| ' \
    BEGIN {IGNORECASE=1} \
    $1 ~ /(La|te)TeX|TeX[^ti]/ \
    ' INDEX | wc -l

> so I think this is still a good idea (we don't have teTeX and similar ports
> in this listing).

I never questioned the fact that a TeX category would be a good thing, only
your data is weird. As a sign of conciliation I send you a semi-automated patch:

awk -F\| ' \
    BEGIN {IGNORECASE=1} \
    $1 ~ /(La|te)TeX|TeX[^ti]/ {print $2 "/Makefile"} \
    ' INDEX | xargs sed -i ".orig" -e 's/^CATEGORIES.*$/& tex/'

Have fun
   Oliver