build failure in astro/celestia port

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Jan 25 13:53:24 PST 2004

On Sunday 25 January 2004 01:27 pm, David Fleck wrote:
> First off, thanks very much for taking the time and effort to test
> this on your system.
>
> I tracked the problem down, sort of.   The real key was this error in
> the
>
> config.log:
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to
> > `XmuLookupStandardColormap'
>
> compilation of the test program linking libglut.so was failing
> because of this, not because of any problems with libglut.
>
> 'XmuLookupStandardColormap' is in libXmu.so, and yet the config log
> showed that the configure script was not adding '-lXmu' to the
> compilation line.
>
> I don't know why that is, as it appears in the configure script:
> 3753:   LIBS="$X_PRE_LIBS $LIBS $X_LIBS -lXmu -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm
> $X_EXTRA_LIBS"
>
> and yet if I echo out the LIBS variable , it contains -lXi and the
> rest of the libraries, but not -lXmu.
>
> I modified the configure script to force the addition of -lXmu, and
> everything works fine.  As this was not required on your machine, it
> must be a quirk of my machine/environment, rather than a port issue.

That may be true about quirks on my machine but I figure a failure on
yours is more important than a success on mine. The success on mine
just gives you a clue to look at your system more closely.

I had a similar problem with arts and libvorbis. After upgrading
libvorbis, artsd wouldn't run until I force upgraded it but I haven't
got anyone's attention yet :).

Kent
--
Kent Stewart