mozilla + java problems

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 21 22:16:58 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 23:29, walt wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> I have two very similar Athlon -CURRENT boxes, both up-to-date as of today,
> both running mozilla-gtk2-1.6_1 and jdk-1.4.2p6_1.
>
> The weirdness is that one of the machines won't run java applets in mozilla,
> while the other one works great  :-(
>
> The problem box ran java applets just fine with mozilla-gtk2-1.5, but now
> gives me a 'java applet notinited' error when trying to view any web page
> which uses java.
>
> I can use mozilla to run any of the jdk14 demo applets just fine, but NOT
> when I try to view a java web page.  Seems like that may be an important
> clue -- but I dunno what it means.
>
> As far as I can tell the two machines are identical -- but obviously I am
> missing something important.
>
> Any ideas about how to debug this problem?

Make sure you didn't build the JDK with debugging enabled.  For some
reason I couldn't get the 1.4debug JDK working with Mozilla.  Also, make
sure the symlink under /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins points to the
correct location, and that file has the same md5 checksum as the one on
the working machine.  You may also want to compare environments as well
as use the JVM ControlPanel to enable the Java Plug-in console, and see
if any messages in there offer a clue as to why things are failing.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome