perl 5.8.2 memory leak?

Bakken, Luke Luke.Bakken at getronics.com
Wed Jan 21 18:22:10 PST 2004

Hi all,

I use the Global source code tag system to index a large amount of
source code and transform it into a web site (it uses perl). Today I
upgraded my machine that does this to 5.2-RELEASE and the perl 5.8.2
package. The next time I ran the conversion program, I noticed the perl
processes memory usage ballooning and ballooning until finally the
process was killed due to no swap space on the machine. Prior to the
upgrade I was using 5.1-RELEASE and the perl 5.8.0 package.

I downgraded the perl package to the 5.6.1 one that is available for the
5.2-RELEASE, and the memory usage of the perl process is significantly
reduced compared with 5.8.2. Now the tagging program is not consuming
more than 10MB of memory (I'm watching in top) whereas with 5.8.2 it
ballooned up over 192MB before being killed. I made no changes to the
perl tagging program.

One difference I did note is in the output of perl -V:

5.6.1 -> usemymalloc -> 'n'
5.8.2 -> usemymalloc -> 'y'

If I can provide any more assistance or info, please ask.
Luke