OPTIONSFILE path [HEADS UP: New bsd.*.mk changes]

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 21 10:15:22 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 12:46, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 11:33, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> >
> > [I think we're all on the same page at this point.]
>
> Maybe I have to restate that I'm extremely happy that we finally have
> started ports option handling.

Me, too.

> No, I wanted to show that we have contradicting premises:
>
> a.) the PKGNAMESUFFIX may be dependend on user settable options

I agree.  I was just making a point that there are ports (esp. for the
-client/-server case, where a slave port is used as the trigger).

> b.) the set of saved options to choose may be dependant on the PKGNAMESUFFIX
>     (even though it might not be determined by user settable options)
>
> This means that in case a) we can't use the PKGNAMESUFFIX to determine the
> set of saved options, and if we can't do this we have to work around this
> for case b.), e.g. set LATEST_LINK or UNIQUENAME for *every* port that
> has options depending on the PKGNAMESUFFIX.
>
> This is more dangerous as it seems: If one port doesn't use OPTIONS and has
> a portname of apache, it will nevertheless get the options from
> /var/db/ports/apache/options.
>
> Say for example you do a test installation of apache2 (which we assume support
> OPTIONS) and decide to downgrade to apache13 (which we assume doesn't support
> OPTIONS), then the file /var/db/ports/apache/options is sourced nevertheless,
> and you get all saved options from apache2 for apache13. There is no 'Hey, I'm
> OPTIONS-aware and want saved options, and I am willing to care for a unique name',
> you get the options when a 'suitable' file is found.
>
> Did you expect that?

Yes, I counted on it :-).  Just kidding, yes this is a problem...but, it
can be solved if the porter adjusts UNIQUENAME accordingly.  However,
I'm not arguing with you: we need a better way.  I'm just offering a
workaround with what we have in the ports tree _now_.  And, as you say
below, adjusting UNIQUENAME is akin to having to add CONFLICTS.  Please
send-pr your patch when it's ready.  Thanks.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	marcus at FreeBSD.org