HEADS UP: New bsd.*.mk changes

Eivind Eklund eivind at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 20 11:02:27 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 07:41:57PM +0100, Marius Strobl wrote:
> In general I'd like to further on be able to build a port as non-root
> and install als root, with default PREFIX, PKG_DBDIR and PORT_DBDIR.
> I don't see how this currently should work, if I set PORT_DBDIR to a
> directory I can write to before I build the port as non-root it won't
> neither read an existing OPTIONSFILE in the default location nor write
> a possibly changed OPTIONSFILE to the new location. I could move around
> the OPTIONSFILE before and after installing the port but that's really
> messy.

I would do it by chmod.  (I habitually build as a user, too - but I
don't think this patch will make much of a difference.)

> At a first glance I don't see a reason why creation of PORT_DBDIR if
> not already existing and writing of the OPTIONSFILE can't be done in
> e.g. the fake-pkg target or a new target that's executed directly
> before or after fake-pkg.

Because targets are supposed to be able to run separately.  It could
possibly be done by a bunch of .if make(target) statements to only delay
when a suitable delay point is, but the patches added so far are about
as complex as I would dare on a single pass, anyway.

Eivind.