HEADS UP: New bsd.*.mk changes

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Tue Jan 20 10:42:39 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 01:05:17PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 13:02, Marius Strobl wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:29:55PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > >
> > > I agree.  This approach seems the most flexible.  As for not being able
> > > to do non-root installs, this is a bogus argument as one could simply
> > > override PORT_DBDIR as they would PKG_DBDIR (even with the original
> > > patch).
> > >

> > I was taking about non-root builds, e.g. single ports checked out
> > outside of PKGBASE to do maintenance work, not non-root installs. In
> > an environment where non-root installs are done your argument is valid.
> > Not being able to do non-root builds compilcates the job of maintainers.
>
> As I said, non-root builds could override PORT_DBDIR the same way you
> could override PKG_DBDIR.  You could point that to a directory to which
> you could write.  What am I missing?

In general I'd like to further on be able to build a port as non-root
and install als root, with default PREFIX, PKG_DBDIR and PORT_DBDIR.
I don't see how this currently should work, if I set PORT_DBDIR to a
directory I can write to before I build the port as non-root it won't
neither read an existing OPTIONSFILE in the default location nor write
a possibly changed OPTIONSFILE to the new location. I could move around
the OPTIONSFILE before and after installing the port but that's really
messy.
At a first glance I don't see a reason why creation of PORT_DBDIR if
not already existing and writing of the OPTIONSFILE can't be done in
e.g. the fake-pkg target or a new target that's executed directly
before or after fake-pkg.