HEADS UP: New bsd.*.mk changes

Eivind Eklund eivind at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 20 05:30:21 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 02:12:25PM +0100, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> >Type: FEATURE
> >
> >Title: Add per-port persistent build options with a menu-driven
> >front-end
> >
> >Affects: bsd.port.mk

> >ports system is the ability to have persistent per-port build options.
> >This new feature adds that functionality as well as a new menu-driven
> >interface for setting those per-port options.  Porters will need to set
> >the OPTIONS macro in their port's Makefile to a list of WITH_ options
> >supported by that port.  The format is <option> "<description>"
> >[on|off].  For example: FLEXRESP "Flexible response to events" off.
> >This says that this port supports a WITH_FLEXRESP option that is not
> >defined by default.  This option's description is, "Flexible response
> >to events."  Multiple options should be chained into the one OPTIONS
> >macro.  NOTE: For OPTIONS to work, you must define OPTIONS before
> >bsd.port.pre.mk.  In order to configure these options, use the
> >``config'' target.  Doing ``make config'' will pop up a curses-based
> >dialog which lists all the available options for the given port.
> >Changes are saved in a per-port directory under PORTS_DBDIR (default:
> >/var/db/ports).  To view configurable options for a port, use the
> >``showconfig'' target.  To set all port options back to the defaults,
> >use the ``rmconfig'' target.
> >
> >PR:
> >
> >Submitted by: eivind
>
> Sorry for stepping up so late, but this saves options under
>  ${PORT_DBDIR}/${PORTNAME}/options
>
> Lots of ports have the same PORTNAME (ie 'openldap' for
> net/openldap2[012]-(client|server), 'apache' for russian/apache13,
> www/apache(13|13-fp|2|21)). Some conflict, but -client/-server don't.
> Either each port has to set OPTIONSFILE to
> ${PORT_DBDIR}/${PORTNAME}/something,
> or we may use LATEST_LINK instead of PORTNAME:

I can't have any particularly reasoned opinion either way - the use
of PORTNAME is inherited from kris, who replaced storing in a file
in the port source directory with the use of PORTNAME (IMO, a large
improvement).  And I thought it was supposed to be unique, while it seems
it isn't.  That said, I think the name LATEST_LINK should be changed (possibly
not right now) if LATEST_LINK is to be used this way.

Also, I don't see why LATEST_LINK would always be unique - instead, it looks to
me as if there could be conflicts between different ports on this (while I thought
we defined that there shouldn't be for PORTNAME).

Eivind.