'All' versus 'Latest'

Tim Kientzle kientzle at acm.org
Sun Jan 18 17:36:35 PST 2004

As I understand it, the purpose of the "All" and "Latest" directories
in the ports area of ftp.freebsd.org is to allow one to type simply:
    pkg_add -r emacs
to fetch the newest version of emacs, rather than requiring
    pkg_add -r emacs-21.3

That's fine and easy to understand, but doesn't seem to be
very consistently followed.

After several hours of work, I've come up with a C routine
that can almost always identify whether a name comes from
the "All" or "Latest" directories.  Out of 16,000+
names, it currently mis-classifies the following 32:

Names that are in "Latest" but appear to have version numbers
(most of these could be fixed by dropping the final '-'):

de-ispell-20001109
de-ispell-alt-19991219
de-ispell-neu-20001109
docbook-241
docbook-3.0
docbook-310
docbook-400
docbook-410
efax-0.9a
gl-117
p5-DBI-137

Names that are in "All" but whose version numbers don't seem to match
any particular pattern (in particular, these all either begin
with a letter or contain multiple letters):

arena-i18n-beta3b
cnews-cr.g_6
ithought-a5
ja-samba-2.2.8a.j1.1_3