CONFIGURE_TARGET

Sergei Kolobov sergei at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 9 09:07:44 PST 2004

On 2004-01-09 at 17:32 +0100, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> bsd.port.mk defines
>
>     CONFIGURE_TARGET?=	${MACHINE_ARCH}-portbld-freebsd${OSREL}
>
> but porters-handbook/makefile-build.html says
>
>     Note: If your package uses GNU configure, and the resulting
>     executable file has a ``strange'' name like
>     i386-portbld-freebsd4.7-appname, you will need to additionally
>     override the CONFIGURE_TARGET variable to specify the target in the
>     way required by scripts generated by recent versions of autoconf.
>     Add the following line immediately after the GNU_CONFIGURE=yes line
>     in your Makefile:
>
>     CONFIGURE_TARGET=--build=${MACHINE_ARCH}-portbld-freebsd${OSREL}
>
> now, couple of questions:
>
> * what is the first recent of version of autoconf to require --build=?

2.5x

> * what is the percentage of ports that want --build=?  (IOW, wouldn't it
>   already make more sense to make that the default value in bsd.port.mk?

I would venture to say that most of recently updated  ports require --build.

> * how about suggesting
>
>   CONFIGURE_TARGET:=--build=${CONFIGURE_TARGET}

I have suggested another (but similar) approach:
see ports/52917 (currently suspended).

> * can't the value be decided automagically? e. g.
>
>   CONFIGURE_TARGET!=.../configure --help|grep -Fe --build...

I have suggested something like that in a thread on this list
on 2003-12-01 (attached). I haven't received any response. :(

Sergei