Call for feedback on a Ports-collection change

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at bellavista.cz
Fri Jan 9 03:55:48 PST 2004

# drosih at rpi.edu / 2004-01-08 20:56:43 -0500:
> At 12:26 PM +1100 1/9/04, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> >Garance writes:
> > > I think the easiest and clearest way to implement
> >> this would be one C program, and not 800 lines of /bin/sh
> >> commands and deep make-magic.
> >
> >There you make a wrong assumption about the bsd.*.mk and make(1).
> >bsd.*.mk is doing the same as the local Makefile, it sets global
> >configurable data and has executable data in it.
> >
> >Make(1) is doing the magic of glueing the the configurable data and
> >the executable data. That is what you're going to make again. Except
> >that the executable data is moved from bsd.*.mk to your make(U).
>
> I'm not sure why you mention 'make'.  The program I'm talking
> about is going to be a trivial little thing which will do nothing
> more than read info from the new file, and (most likely) write it
> out to separate files under the 'work' directory, when building
> a port.  Nothing to do with dependencies, last-chg times, make
> variables.

    such program (and file format) already exist: /bin/sh and shar

# drosih at rpi.edu / 2004-01-09 00:30:24 -0500:
> At 9:20 PM -0800 1/8/04, Brooks Davis wrote:
> >What I'd really like to see from you is, what does the port
> >maintanence cycle look like to the port maintainer and how
> >is it different from today.  I can think of different ways
> >it would work, but I want to know how you see it happening.
>
> Basically, I don't have a finalized idea on that.  That's
> the kind of feedback that I need from developers who are
> more experienced with ports than I am.

    that won't work. you'll have to convince all the port maintainers
    and submitters that the change you propose won't make port creation
    and maintanance more laborous than it is, and if you want to
    convince anybody, you need a proof backed by experience.