Call for feedback on a Ports-collection change

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Thu Jan 8 17:56:56 PST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:49:25 -0500
Garance A Drosihn <drosih at rpi.edu> wrote:

> I have been pondering a possible change for the way the ports
> collection is done.  I've done a little exploration into the
> idea, but I thought I'd ask for more feedback before sinking
> more time into it.  I believe I have someone who would do much
> of the actual work for this change, so I think I can make it
> happen, but I want to know if the FreeBSD ports project would
> be interested in this idea if I come up with some working
> version.
>
> To keep this as a "doable" project, I also have a fairly
> modest goal:  Further reduce the inode-count of the ports
> collection.  That's it.  There are many things which could
> be done as a follow-on to this, but that's all I want to
> try for right now.

This sounds like it would be a simple job requiring no more than a file
archiver like tar(1), were it not for the fact that the ports tree is
cvsup'ed file by file.

Maybe some sort of CVS->shar gateway server mirror thingy?  You could
cvsup to it to keep a shar'ed ports tree up to date, and any time you
wanted to built an individual port, you'd just unshar it first...

Just a random brainfart.

-Chris