Call for feedback on a Ports-collection change

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Thu Jan 8 17:07:02 PST 2004

Well, I'd have to say that, despite the merits of the idea, there
are many more pressing problems facing the ports collection than
filesize.  My order would be something more like:

1. Fix the remaining ports, if any, that do not deal with the
threads metadefinitions, because KSE is scheduled to become the
default in 3-4 weeks.
2. Fix the remaining gcc3.3-inflicted problems before 5.3 becomes
the new -stable branch, which is 3-4 months.
3. Remove broken ports which stand no chance of working on 5.3,
in that same timeframe.
4. Try to assess the impact of the new guidelines for timeouts,
in that same timeframe.
5. Try to get the 74 PRs currently in the "portmgr" queue integrated
into bsd.*.mk and extensively QAed.
6. Try to attack the extensive 'unfetchable distfiles'.

Those are my own priorities.  Other people's mileage may, and
probably will, vary considerably.

mcl