Please reserve UID/GID for bacula port

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Jan 7 13:59:58 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:48:42PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Lars Köller wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but I can't give you a number. But I think there is no
> > "large percentage of our userbase" using it. Even some active FreeBSD
> > user are on the bacula mailing list.
>
> Ok, then I like the idea of the port itself adding some lines to
> /etc/services to accomodate this. As for the argument that they would
> get deleted by (improper decisions made while using) mergemaster, it
> would be up to the port author to make it clear ... something like:
>
> # These three lines are added by ports/sysutils/bacula
> bacula-1	9999/tcp	# Added by ports/sysutils/bacula
> # End of lines added by ports/sysutils/bacula
>
> That way the user has a fighting chance of making the right mergemaster
> decision, and the port has an easy way to delete those lines when its
> uninstalled.

At the very least it would be good to not add lines for services which
already exist so the user doesn't end up with a new copy of the lines
every time they do a portupgrade.  That way you avoid situations like
the way the perl ports spam make.conf with 11 lines of crap every time
perl gets upgraded on a 5.x system.

-- Brooks