Please reserve UID/GID for bacula port

Doug Barton DougB at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 7 13:48:46 PST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Lars Köller wrote:

> Sorry, but I can't give you a number. But I think there is no
> "large percentage of our userbase" using it. Even some active FreeBSD
> user are on the bacula mailing list.

Ok, then I like the idea of the port itself adding some lines to
/etc/services to accomodate this. As for the argument that they would
get deleted by (improper decisions made while using) mergemaster, it
would be up to the port author to make it clear ... something like:

# These three lines are added by ports/sysutils/bacula
bacula-1	9999/tcp	# Added by ports/sysutils/bacula
# End of lines added by ports/sysutils/bacula

That way the user has a fighting chance of making the right mergemaster
decision, and the port has an easy way to delete those lines when its
uninstalled.

There is precedent for ports writing stuff in /etc (/etc/shells for
one),, and since this is a case that's worth pursuing (as is saned), I
think it's definitely worth the "cost" of "polluting" the base with
ports stuff.

HTH,

Doug