possible new port, dd_rescue

clayton rollins crollins666 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 12:43:32 PST 2004

Hi list,

This tool was suggested to me by a fellow developer
who uses Linux. dd_rescue is similar to dd, but is
meant to be graceful when errors are encountered,
instead of faulting and not allowing the dump.

I used it to get an image a bad floppy, but I assume
it is suitable for other disk recovery too. (It is
included in Knoppix, so it has somewhat of a
serious following, I guess.)

The homepage with source downloads is:
http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/

The only modification required here was to edit the
Makefile to include -I/usr/local/include/ in the CFLAGS.
(A quick reinplace would solve.) I would be willing to
make the required port directory, if there's interest.

IMHO, it may be a welcome addition to the ports tree
(if another tool/method for this doesn't exist), and
might be considered for inclusion to the 'live
filesystem' CD.

Peace,
Clayton Rollins