Lost maintainers

Erwin Lansing erwin at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 3 01:47:09 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 10:33:37AM -0500, Matthew Emmerton wrote:

> IMHO, even 2-3 months is too long -- this is almost a complete release
> cycle (considering that releases are every 3-4 months and the ports tree
> is frozen for 2-4 weeks prior to release.)
>
> This can cause important updates (features, version bumps, security fixes)
> to miss two consecutive releases and users (especially those installing
> from packages) get irked by this a lot.
>
> I'm not suggesting that we drop maintainership after say 1 month, but I
> think there should be some understanding between ports committers such
> that good, well-formed patches from the user community be committed even
> without maintainer's blessing, after a set period of maintainer
> unresponsiveness.

There is such an understanding. 3 weeks is considered "approval by
timeout" for committing pathces. For security related issues, it is up
to the committers discretion. But reassigning maintainership is a whole
different issues than single patches.

--
Erwin Lansing      (,-.`._,'(       |\`-/|    erwin at lansing.dk
http://droso.org       `-.-' \ )-`( , o o)    erwin at FreeBSD.org