Lost maintainers

Fri Jan 2 03:12:54 PST 2004

On 2 Jan 2004 06:16:07 -0000
tmseck-lists at netcologne.de (Thomas-Martin Seck) wrote:

> > I think we need to make some procedure of taking off the maintainership
> > from "lost" maintainers. I mean maintainers who keep silence for a
> > long-long time.
>
> This is a portmgr@ decision which should be written down somewhere.
> Especially when it comes to the definition of "long time".

I think this is a "common sense applies" decision. A formal definition
of "long time" would be nice, yes, but so far we (the committers)
typically get it right (read: not too long) when we get bugged enough
(just add a note how long you already try to contact the unresponsive
maintainer).

> > I know at least two such maintainers for www/squid and devel/boost ports.
> >
> > They block ports updates with their silence.
>
> FWIW, I'd like to take the maintainership of www/squid.

Which email address do you want to use (current maintainer CCed)?

> > We can give them back the maintainership if they will back.
>
> I would not like if someone came back and took the port I just got used
> to maintain.

I agree... as long as the old maintainer isn't better suited to do it
(e.g. author of the program). I think this can get resolved in a way
which is ok for both if such an issue shows up.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           I will be available to get hired in April 2004.