Suggestions for an interim perl upgrade?
apeiron at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 12:14:08 PST 2004
>I have a production server that needs badbly to have it's perl
>installation upgraded to perl 5.8.3 right now and I'd like to know if
>there's any best practice to do the upgrade without conflicting with
>it's port (and the portupgrade tool), when released.
I filed a PR more than a month ago (ports/61444) which provides an
upgrade for lang/perl5.8. It's still awaiting approval (hint, hint).
I've been running it since I submitted it without a single issue
(WITH_THREADS, to boot!). It's not official, but I've been using it
non-stop for over a month.
>Another concern regards to upgrading various perl dependent (also p5-*)
>ports with this manual perl 5.8.3 installation using portupgrade: does
>this work 100%? And when the official perl port is released, will the
>portupgrade be able to correctly handle the future upgrades?
I followed the normal upgrade procedure after applying my patch and
installing 5.8.3. Again, no problems, but this isn't official (yet)
Speaking of: can someone _please_ take a look at ports/61444? I've CC'd
tobez previously (see message ID
20040220183953.GA977 at prophecy.dyndns.org), but haven't received a
I abhor a system designed for the "user", if that word is a coded
pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated". -- Ken Thompson
Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly.
Please CC me in all replies, even if I'm on the relevant list(s).
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 187 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/attachments/20040227/e1c5150b/attachment.bin
More information about the freebsd-ports