OPTIONS, LATEST_LINK, and RCng

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Mon Feb 23 10:55:16 PST 2004

> * Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com>
> [gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports]:
>> Freddie Cash wrote:
>>> While updating the www/dansguardian* ports to use the new OPTIONS
>>> and LATEST_LINK variables, I noticed that the www/squid port now
>>> uses RCng for the startup script.  This is good news, because it
>>> means I can rename the dansguardian startup script back to
>>> dansguardian.sh and just use RCng to make sure it's started after
>>> squid.

> No, the script is rcNG _aware_. If rc.subr is not present in the two
> locations where the scripts expects it to be, the script will just
> behave like any other rc script. An added bonus is that you get
> reload, restart, and status functions from rcNG.

Ah, that makes a little more sense, now, after spending a little more
time in the startup script.

So there's three different ways to go here:
	- leave it the way it is using the alphabetical order by script name
(pre-RCng)
	- use something like the squid script that works with or without
RCng, still based on the script name
	- add a dependency on rc_subr and let RCng handle everything

I think for the time being, I'll go with the second option, until I
can figure out how RCng and rc_subr work.  This also gives a nicer
upgrade path (no RCng --> use if present --> full RCng).

Thanks to all for your comments.
--
Freddie Cash
fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca