shells/bash-completion requires textproc/gsed

Jean-Baptiste Quenot jb.quenot at caraldi.com
Wed Feb 18 08:15:27 PST 2004

* Kirk Strauser:

> At 2004-02-18T09:28:45Z,  Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb.quenot at caraldi.com>
> writes:
>
> > Bash Completion uses GNU extensions  that FreeBSD sed does not have.
> > GNU sed and  BSD sed are very different,  and incompatible.  Setting
> > up  a runtime  dependency  on gsed  when installing  bash-completion
> > ensures  that   all  completions  are  functional,   and  that  Bash
> > Completion behaves consistently between operating systems.
>
> I patched  the port  to add  the *optional*  dependency on  gsed.  I'm
> still  opposed  to *requiring*  the  extra  dependency, but  now  it's
> available if you want it.

Well,  although I  don't  really  understand why  you  are reluctant  to
*require* the extra dependency, it  is better than nothing.  However, it
is preventing  a bit  more bash completion  to gain  popularity...  Most
users won't care about that  WITH_GSED switch, and most completions just
won't work.

Maybe you have good reasons to do  so that I don't know.  Anyway, I hope
the completions I wrote  for FreeBSD-specific programs like portinstall,
kldload and so on are compatible with BSD sed at least ;-)

Best regards,
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/