Feature Request: /usr/local/etc/rc.conf support

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 17 21:03:28 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 14:28, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> There is also the option of using the (yet) undocumented in FreeBSD [1]
> /etc/rc.conf.d/service files.  E.g. to enable rsyncd you would have
> /etc/rc.conf.d/rsyncd with the variable rsyncd_enable="YES" (Note: I
> haven't tested this, but I'm rather sure I'm reading the source and
> NetBSD manual page corrrectly).

Unfortunately, this is still (at least to the port) dinking outside of
${PREFIX} (either ${LOCALBASE} or ${X11BASE}), and is somewhat dirty.

Since we already have (now) /etc/rc.d, /usr/local/etc/rc.d, and
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d launching scripts left, right, and center, it does
not seem unreasonable to have equivalent etc/rc.conf and etc/conf.d
mechansisms, so that changes can be kept in isolation from each other.

A considerable number of machines will, to one degree or another,
consider anything outside of /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 (with few,
well-documented exceptions) to be "off-limits" for ports, me included.
I should be able to consider my "system drive" disposable, with just
enough to get it up and talking to the rest of the system, which then
brings the machine to real use by means of /usr/local (and, of course,
/usr/X11R6) equivalents to the etcNG startup mechanism for the base
system.

-aDe