Feature Request: /usr/local/etc/rc.conf support

Scot W. Hetzel hetzelsw at westbend.net
Tue Feb 17 15:02:12 PST 2004

From: "Ted Cabeen" <secabeen at pobox.com>
> The system securelevel is set in the /etc/rc.conf file.  To prevent an
> attacker from changing the securelevel defined there and then
> rebooting the machine, I set the /etc/rc.conf file to be immutable.
> However, I'd like to be able to install new ports and have them start
> automatically without having to boot to single-user to modify rc.conf
> (or any other configuration file equivalent to rc.conf).

We don't need a /usr/local/etc/rc.conf file to be used by ports only.
Instead rc.subr has the ability to load a file for each script from
/etc/rc.conf.d.  You will need to create the /etc/rc.conf.d directory, and
then create individual files for the script that that you want to change the
settings for.

These files are named after the $name variable in each script.

Scot