Feature Request: /usr/local/etc/rc.conf support

Ted Cabeen secabeen at pobox.com
Tue Feb 17 10:32:37 PST 2004

With the ever-increasing number of ports that use rc.conf variables to
regulate their startup, would it be possible to add support for a
/usr/local/etc/rc.conf file in FreeBSD?  The constant changes to the
rc.conf file have been playing havoc with my centralized management
systems, and it makes it harder and harder to keep the /etc/rc.conf
file set immutable (which I like to do on critical servers, to prevent
the securelevel from changing).

A /usr/local/etc/rc.conf file would be a nice solution to this
problem.  As I see it, that file would only be used when starting
programs that live in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and use the rc system.
Built-in programs would continue to use /etc/rc.conf.

Making this change would only require a small change to
/usr/local/etc/rc.subr.  I can submit a patch or a PR if needed.

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen            ted at impulse.net
Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2         secabeen at pobox.com