gettext + pkg_deinstall -P ?

Rob Ellis rob at web.ca
Thu Feb 12 12:21:50 PST 2004

I'm sort of new to trying to keep up-to-date with ports,
and got confused by the recent gettext upgrade... a portupgrade
said this

  ===>  Checking if devel/gettext already installed
  ===>   An older version of devel/gettext is already installed (gettext-0.12.1)
        You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
        by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
        If you really wish to overwrite the old port of devel/gettext
        without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
        in your environment or the "make install" command line.
  *** Error code 1

It looks like I can/should upgrade all ports that depend on gettext with

  portupgrade -rf gettext # ?

But what if I don't want to upgrade everything? Can I do:

  pkg_deinstall -fP gettext\*  # safe? keeps shared libraries?
  portinstall gettext
  portupgrade something_that_depends_on_gettext

?

Thanks.

- Rob