HEADS UP: MAJOR changes to the ports system

Mark Huizer freebsd at dohd.org
Thu Feb 5 10:56:46 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 02:49:15AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT users
> hear this.  Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that are
> bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users.
>
> Second, Perl 5.8.2 is now the default version of Perl in -CURRENT since
> the 5.2 split.  This replaces Perl 5.6.1 as the default.  Note: Perl
> 5.00503 is still the default version of Perl in the 4.X base OS.

Did anyone ever create some kind of 'best practice' on how to upgrade
ports' perl on a system? I see quite a lof dependencies, and the issue
is/might be that files are installed in directories carrying the perl
version number.
What do people do to make this transition? upgrade perl and make a
symlink? Upgrade perl and reinstall all ports? deinstall everything and
reinstall?

Mark
--
Nice testing in little China...